Training is not a cost, but an investment.
There is a famous conversation which highlights the importance of investing in employee training, which goes something like this:
Person A asks “What if we spend money on training our employees and they leave?”
Person B replies “What if we don’t and they stay?!”
This article highlights 10 reasons why employee training is a vital part of a successful business.
1. Safety first. The right training can ensure your employees are using equipment correctly and observing correct health and safety practices in the workplace
2. The right training gives employees the necessary skills and knowledge to carry out their work to the best of their ability, increasing productivity and quality of work
3. Whether it is training, methods of working or legislation – things continuously change in the work place. Regular training means your business and your employees don’t get left behind and they stay working at their best, both today and in the future
4. A driving factor behind employee engagement is training and development: improving the performance of your staff, increasing staff retention and helping you to keep hold of your ‘star players’
5. Training and development can give your employees an increased and more diverse skills set, meaning they can take on additional responsibilities while supporting their own career progression
6. Highly skilled employees can help your organisation deliver higher levels of customer satisfaction – boosting your reputation in the marketplace and helping to secure greater customer retention
7. In addition to external training, internal training is a pivotal way to share best practice within your organisation, develop common working procedures and strengthen internal relationships
8. A number of job roles require that employees have specific training and qualifications by law – for example the Driver CPC required by drivers of vehicles of 3.5T gvw and above. This type of training means your employees have the right skills to operate effectively and legally
9. Not only can training help you retain your best employees, but by being an employer that demonstrates a commitment to staff development makes your organisation more attractive when it comes to recruiting top talent
10. Training your employees can give you a genuine competitive advantage over your competition. The only way you can be better than your competitors is by your employees being better than the rest and training is a direct route to achieving this.
98 total views, 3 views today